By Bryan Wilton, President
GP 2018, the next full release of Dynamics GP, is targeted to release in December of 2017. Everything seems to be “epic” now: movie trailers boast upcoming features as epic, television shows use the same to describe next week’s episode and the political arena has found lots of uses for ‘epic this’ and ‘epic that’. Not to be left out, GP 2018 will focus around epic stories, which should be fun. A few of those epic highlights are:
- Optimize Financials and HR/Payroll with more features
- Comprehensive Doc Attach
- Power “Suite” Evolution
- User Experience-everything and anything a user wants to make their job easier
- Workflow 3.0.
Watch for more information as we learn just how epic Dynamics GP 2018 will be!
Contact us to learn more about Microsoft Dynamics GP.
Your reports are outdated the instant you hit “Send” in an email or “Share” in Microsoft Excel, and definitely as soon as ink hits paper. Things change, stuff happens, and what you think is the truth can quickly become anything but.
All that effort, all that work, all those hours spent in preparation . . . just to provide the opportunity to do it all over again.
Not so with the all-new BizInsight Excel Suite for Microsoft Dynamics GP, from BizNet Software.
More than 20,000 users worldwide rely upon BizNet to automate the production and distribution of recurring reports. But boardroom-quality reports are the just the beginning of what the BizInsight Excel Suite can do for you.
The Suite includes two essential Excel add-ins to automate your reporting and a powerful third option to dramatically accelerate the distribution of reports.
- BizConnectors: Deliver drag-and-drop access to tables from Dynamics GP Financial, Sales, Purchasing, Inventory, Manufacturing and Project modules. No more export-import copy-paste to get the data you need. BizConnectors bring it to you.
- BizInsight: Enables the analysis of business operations with pre-built functions and provides an intuitive, menu-driven Query Editor that retrieves very granular results and backs up the numbers with drill-down details.
- BizBroadcast: Automates report distribution in a variety of formats to specific audiences at email, network, web and cloud addresses – and can even send reports based upon scheduled timers or conditional triggers.
Check out the BizNet Software Video Center and see that automated reporting and business data analysis in Excel isn’t magic, but it comes pretty close with the BizInsight Excel Suite for Microsoft Dynamics GP.
Let us know if you have any questions.
By Bryan Wilton, President
Information on GP year-end update product releases has started to become more solid now as we get close to mid-November. The dates as we know them now are as follows:
- GP 2013 – this week
- GP 2015 – will follow soon after the 2013 year-end update is released
- GP 2016/R2 – expected around 12/1. Remember 2016 will not have a separate year end update and an R2 update; they will be combined into one so you will only have to apply one update to get both the year end update and version R2 if you are on GP 2016. Another benefit of upgrading to 2016/R2: GP will now print a W2 with lines.
- GP 2010 and earlier – there will be no year-end or other updates….time to upgrade! Contact Lori Ritzer if you would like to get your upgrade scheduled before year end. Lori.Ritzer@InterDynBMI.com.
- Canadian Payroll – should be available around middle of December. If you also have US payroll, you can wait until the Canadian payroll year end is released and apply both at the same time from one file.
Most have probably heard about the new overtime rules the DOL signed into law this past year? Those rules become law on December 1, 2016 and it looks like the Overtime Rate Manager in Dynamics GP will handle the calculations for you. This module is free but let us know if you need any help getting it setup and configured. Side note on this module — there are 3 payroll features which are part of the core GP system, called Core Payroll Extensions. They do require a separate install so lots of payroll users tend to miss these modules. The 3 modules included with GP are:
- Overtime Rate Manager
- Deductions in Arrears
- Payroll Integration to Payables
Let us know if you have any questions about these 3 payroll modules.
Now, back to payroll updates. Just a reminder the 2016 form changes are as follows:
- W2 – no form changes
- W3 – no form changes
- 1099-Int – small change
- 1099-MIsc – small change
- 1096 – does have a change as a result of the Int/Misc form changes
- Electronic Filing W2 (EFW2) – no change but is now due by January 31st.
And there is a law change (Path Act) to Fixed Asset depreciation limits so if you are running the Fixed Asset module for tax calculations, you’ll want to make sure to apply the year end update.
Finally, if you would like to attend one of our year end closing classes, ($195) all are being held online this year. Register now
Affordable Care Act reporting, the most complex workforce reporting ever required, is right around the corner for many U.S. businesses. Similar to requiring that every employee receive a W-2, some employees must also have a 1095-C form in their hands.
The original deadline of Feb 1 was just extended by the IRS to March 31, a bit of breathing room but not a reason to procrastinate! This statement about the availability of health care at your business is required whether or not you:
- Have offered affordable health care to your full-time employees all along.
- Have decided to pay the penalties for not offering coverage this year.
- Employ between 50 and 99 workers and are not facing penalties related to Tax Year 2015 coverage.
You MUST fulfill the IRS reporting requirements around ACA compliance by sending 1095-C forms to certain employees and filing copies of them to the IRS (with the 1094-C transmittal form).
Be aware: The non-filing penalty is $500 per required return! If you act now, it is possible to produce 1095-C forms for your employees by March 31 and then be ACA-ready for filing copies with the IRS.
Our ACA reporting solution can help you.
- It accepts data from any payroll or ERP system.
- It is smart, comprehensive and cost-effective.
- It can be deployed in one day.
Contact InterDyn BMI to learn more about ACA reporting technology.
In keeping with Microsoft’s recently adopted six-month cadence for releases of new versions of Dynamics GP, we can begin to look forward to an anticipated release of GP2016 in approximately April, 2016. Some of the proposed new functionality includes most popular requested features from customers, including
- Import/Export Smartlist definitions from the Designer – excellent for duplicating lists to another install
- Smartlist number field exports to Excel will be formatted as numbers not text
- New Home Page part can optionally display Power BI Reports – nice dashboard view
- Following on from the GP2015 R2 feature of Purchasing All-in-One view, the GP2016 version will include both Sales and Inventory All-in-One views. Accessible from several different places within the module, these provide requested visibility to your data.
- Prepayments on Purchase Order has been in existence, but with GP2016 you can now include the entire purchase order amount including taxes, freight & Miscellaneous, not just the PO subtotal amount.
- Project Accounting fields will now be available on Purchase Requisition entry. Project and Cost Category will now flow to Purchase Orders created from Requisitions.
- Budget Imports will now provide an exception report displaying accounts that aren’t setup in Dynamics to allow budgeting to
- When processing checks from GP, there will be a new option to select to pay by credit card. The payments will create an invoice for the credit card vendor along with a remittance form to show the invoices paid
- Payroll posting accounts setup will now include a navigation list with easy filtering and sorting functionality. Export and Import payroll posting accounts using MS Excel
- Workflow conditions have been enhanced when determining what to do for next steps when conditions are not met
- Scanning document attachments now include the ability to include multiples. Document feeder options and formatted as .tiff files will be included
- https support for Management Reporter helps to further secure communications for report information
Stay tuned for more details on the release of GP2016. Contact InterDyn BMI for more information.
Who owns Smart List Designer?
Any customer running Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 SP2 or higher!
How do I use Smart List Designer?
User will need access to Smart List Designer Tasks, these tasks need to be assigned to a role and the role assigned to the user…
- GP2015 R2 Offers a workflow to approve Smart List Designer object before they become accessible to all users.
- Once the object is created, uses need to be granted access to the Smart List Designer object.
- Open Smart List and click on NEW or Modify, yes, you can modify!
How is Smart List Designer different from Smart List Builder? Which is the ‘right’ tool for me?
Let’s Create a Smart List Designer object with a SQL View!
COO wants Payroll pay information for all employees and all pay codes. Would like to see the pay rate value per hour. COO does not have access to Dynamics GP.
- Create a SQL View to gather appropriate information
- Grant COO access to SQL view
- Create a Smart List Designer Object using the SQL View
- Publish the SQL view to Excel Reports
- Pretty up Excel Report for the COO
In database theory, a view is the result set of a stored query on the data, which the database users can query just as they would in a persistent database collection object. This preestablished query command is kept in the database dictionary. Unlike ordinary base tables in a relational database, a view does not form part of the physical schema: as a result set, it is a virtual table computed or collated dynamically from data in the database when access to that view is requested.
Changes applied to the data in a relevant underlying table are reflected in the data shown in subsequent invocations of the view. In some NoSQL databases, views are the only way to query data.
Views can provide advantages over tables:
- Views can represent a subset of the data contained in a table. Consequently, a view can limit the degree of exposure of the underlying tables to the outer world: a given user may have permission to query the view, while denied access to the rest of the base table.
- Views can join and simplify multiple tables into a single virtual table.
- Views can act as aggregated tables, where the database engine aggregates data (sum, average, etc.) and presents the calculated results as part of the data.
- Views can hide the complexity of data. For example, a view could appear as Sales2000 or Sales2001, transparently partitioning the actual underlying table.
- Views take very little space to store; the database contains only the definition of a view, not a copy of all the data that it presents.
What does my view include?
GO /****** Object: View [dbo].[BMI_Employees] Script Date: 06/15/2012 08:36:03 ******/ SET ANSI_NULLS ON
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF
create VIEW [dbo].[BMI_Employees] AS select Distinct([‘Payroll Master’].[EMPLOYID]) as ‘Employee ID’,
rtrim([‘Payroll Master’].[LASTNAME]) as ‘Last Name’,
rtrim([‘Payroll Master’].[FRSTNAME]) as ‘First Name’,
rtrim([‘Payroll Address Master’].[ZIPCODE]) as ‘Zip Code’,
[‘Payroll Master’].[BRTHDATE] as ‘Birth Date’,
Left(rtrim([‘Payroll Address Master’].[PHONE1]),10) as ‘Phone 1’,
rtrim([‘Payroll Master’].[SOCSCNUM]) as ‘Social Security Number’,
rtrim([‘Payroll Pay Code Master’].[PAYRCORD]) as ‘Pay Record’,
[‘Payroll Pay Code Master’].[PAYRTAMT] as ‘Pay Rate’,
from [UPR00100] as [‘Payroll Master’] with (NOLOCK) left outer join [UPR00102]
as [‘Payroll Address Master’] with (NOLOCK) on [‘Payroll Master’].[EMPLOYID] = [‘Payroll Address Master’].[EMPLOYID] and [‘Payroll Master’].[ADRSCODE] = [‘Payroll Address Master’].[ADRSCODE] left outer join [UPR00400]
as [‘Payroll Pay Code Master’] with (NOLOCK) on [‘Payroll Master’].[EMPLOYID] = [‘Payroll Pay Code Master’].[EMPLOYID]
Where [‘Payroll Master’].[INACTIVE]=0 AND [‘Payroll Pay Code Master’].[INACTIVE]=0
Contact InterDyn BMI today to learn more about SmartList Designer and Microsoft Dynamics GP.